Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Google Street View



The Google street view vehicle is in town and today I saw it. I was headed east on Newfoundland Drive (near Logy Bay Road) when I saw it coming towards me. I turned around and went back to find him. Luckily I had my camera with me! He was on Rigolet Crescent so I stopped and jumped out to get a picture. He turned around near me to do the loop and he had his window down so I asked if he was doing the surveying for Google Earth. He said no, a private company. I asked if Google Earth had contracted out the private company and he said "sort of". Then he said that Google Earth wasn't allowed to put up pics in Canada yet. I asked if I could take a few pics, he said yes and let me take one of him as well. I told him he was the talk of the town, especially among photographers, and that it had been written about in blogs and was in the newspaper. He laughed and seemed surprised. As of now Google is not allowed to make these street view photos public because of Canadian regulations. But they may be online eventually. After I took the pictures it dawned on me, I'll be on Google's street view if they're ever made public. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Here are my pictures.

2 comments:

Diggitt said...

How cool! Street view was in Manhattan (New York City) this past week. The NY Times did a feature, but it's all supposed to be a secret. C'mon! There are no secrets in googleworld!

CorySmith said...

Awesome, I never thought someone would actually catch the elusive vehicle in action. great eye