Thursday, January 12, 2006

Fog, Rain, Snow, More Rain


Welcome to life in eastern Newfoundland. Lots of fog, rain and snow, plenty of wind too. Another grey day here, I resorted to walking around my small back garden looking for something to photograph. I took pictures of the weeds in the snow just before it started to rain.


Some of you may have noticed that I added a profile picture to my blog. I am showing a larger version here. This is the first time I have taken a self portrait that did not involve me standing in front of a mirror. I pre focused on a flash head on a tripod, removed it, set the focus to manual, set the timer on the camera and got into place. This was lit with 2 side flashes, the first result and I was happy with it so I didn't take any more. I altered it in PSP, a bit of noise reduction and then some filters that I cannot remember right now. I have always been a shy person and, like most people, I don't like pictures of myself so I used the sweater and PSP filters to my advantage.

7 comments:

kaye said...

I got brave enough to do a self portrait today too. I love the way you used the sweater to "hide" but also make it a fun shot! Well done!

L2 said...

This is a great SP! Post-processing really works here - and the eyes really pop out which is good.

Unknown said...

Great self portrait. I also like the snow shot. Well done on both :)

Linda said...

nice self portrait - I aslso like the high key weed.

suemack said...

Very effective!! Stunning shot, it shows your gorgeous eyes.

Jen said...

Very cool shot. I love the catchlights in your eye and the color overlay.

Edward said...

Don't know how I missed this one.. I love it! Very original self-portrait. :)